Just leave the fields blank that you don't want to search
Prof Mo Saraee
|Biography||Professor Mo Saraee holds a chair in Data Science, the head of Computer Science and Software Engineering and the programme leader of the MSc Data Science and MSc IoT (Internet of Things) Programmes. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of Manchester. Prof Saraee is a highly regarded researcher in the Data science area. His research focuses on Data Science, Machine Learning, Data & Text Mining, NLP, Big Data, and Medical Informatics with over 150 publications in top-tier journals and international conference presentations. His research addressed multi-disciplinary, cross-school topics with transformative impact, benefiting local communities, dedication to action through real-world application of research including developing and integrating innovative data mining approaches to improve human health, in collaboration with both Salford City Council and the NHS. He has secured and led funded projects with income totalling over £1.4m. Current project includes (i) Innovate UK, (£186K) KTP project with Humn.ai (a London based company) to develop a comprehensive insurance solution for CAVs, (ii) Innovate UK (£144K) KTP project with Ripe Inc. to develop a dynamic pricing tool to determine price points for a prospective customer’s purchasing decision, (iii) Innovate UK (£226K) KTP project with Irwin Mitchell, a leading law firm to create an innovative, leading data science and machine learning capability utilising advanced data analytics and insights, to enhance the services Irwin Mitchell provides and transform the experiences of IM clients and colleagues, (Iv) Innovate UK (£168k) KTP project with HDL (HILLTOP DIGITAL LAB LTD) a Stockport based company to develop a "Waiting Well" tool to support clinical decision makers to use the best information available to prioritise waiting lists and signpost people to support; addressing the issue of the growing number of people waiting for NHS treatment. (v) ERDF GMCA, AI Foundry project to Provide support to SMEs in Greater Manchester to utilise Artificial Intelligence (AI) to become innovation ready and enhance or develop new products and services, (vi) Lead academic for GMCA, £3 million Fast Track Digital Workforce Fund with industry partners, Bupa, Salford City Council, TalkTalk, and the BBC. In the past he has successfully led and delivered several projects including (i) HEIF funded project with Upturn Enterprise Ltd, on developing predictive models and Improved Interventions with disadvantaged groups using Social norms and machine learning”, (ii) Application of data mining on SMART meters data for British Gas (shortlisted for the Data Strategy Awards), (iii) ESRC funded project to develop a profiler for Crime, Criminal Justice and Social Harm. His research has been published in leading journals such as British Medical Journal, Knowledge-Based Systems and Neurocomputing. He is the Editor in Chief for “International Journal of Web Research. His academic achievement also includes supervising 18 PhDs and MPhil to successful completion|
|Research Interests||1. Data Science: The central focus of the research revolves around the field of Data Science, which involves the extraction of valuable insights from data.
2. Machine Learning: A specific area of interest is machine learning, which involves the development of algorithms and models that enable computers to learn and make predictions from data.
3. Data & Text Mining: Research is dedicated to the extraction of meaningful information from large datasets, including text data, which can be useful for various applications.
4. Natural Language Processing (NLP): NLP research involves the study of human language and the development of algorithms and models that can understand, process, and generate human language.
5. Big Data: Research in Big Data focuses on the handling, storage, and analysis of large and complex datasets, often in real-time, to derive meaningful insights.
6. Medical Informatics: This research area is particularly interested in the application of data science and informatics in the healthcare sector, with the aim of improving healthcare outcomes.
7. Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAVs): Research projects involve developing comprehensive insurance solutions for CAVs, which are an emerging technology with a significant impact on transportation and safety.
8. Advanced Data Analytics: This area of research involves the utilization of cutting-edge data analytics techniques to enhance the services provided by legal firms and organizations.
NHS Waiting List Optimization: A specific project aims to support clinical decision-makers in prioritizing and managing waiting lists within the National Health Service (NHS), which is a critical healthcare issue.
These research areas highlight a diverse range of topics within the broader field of Data Science, showcasing a commitment to practical applications and real-world impact in collaboration with various organizations and institutions.
|Teaching and Learning||Professor Mo Saraee serves as the program leader for the MSc Data Science and MSc IoT (Internet of Things) programs. He has developed and is currently delivering the following modules in his role as the module leader:
Machine Learning and Data Mining (MSc)
Big Data Tools and Techniques
MSc Project (dissertation)